Judy Garland Museum®
judy garland 01
The Judy Garland Museum® is one of the first celebrity museums to open in the United States in 1975. The Museum is authorized by the Judy Garland Heirs Trust. Conveniently, the museum is connected to the interactive Children’s Discovery Museum so you can enjoy the experience of two unique museums on one convenient campus. There is something here for all genrations to experience!


Admission information:

Kids under 2 years of age are free for all admissions

  • Judy Garland Museum Child General Admission <12 years old                                             $8.00/person
  • Judy Garland Museum Adult General Admission                                                                 $12.00/person
  • Judy Garland and Children’s Discovery Museum General Admission                                    $15.00/person

Guided Tours:  Every Friday and Saturday starting at 10:30am

  • Judy Garland Guided Tour
    • $5.00/person with purchase of General Admission ticket
    • Includes guided tour with Judy authority, John Kelsch
    • include inside knowledge on Judy’s life in Grand Rapids Minnesota and beyond
  • VIP Judy Extended Guided Tour
    • $10/person with purchase of General Admission ticket
    • Includes all above tour plus exclusive access to the newly created Judy Garland basement archives collected over a 50-year history

Special requests for groups orgranizations of 4 our more people are available, please call museum to schedule at 218-327-9276

Consider becoming a JGM Member to get unlimited admission throughout the year, discounts in the store and more!!

Children’s Discovery Museum Child General Admission<12 years old                                    $8.00/person

Children’s Discovery Museum Adult General Admission                                                       $12.00/person       

Children Discovery and Judy Garland Museum General Admission                                       $15.00/person

Consider becoming a CDM Member to get unlimited admission throughout the year, discounts in the store and more!!

visit the website at:  www.cdmkids.org



Type of Exhibits and events:

1892 House where Judy spent her formative years, structure of national significance restored to its ca. 1925 appearance.

The Judy Garland Museum® includes the world’s largest collection of Garland and Wizard of Oz Collectibles.

Exhibits include:

  • Judy Garland Test Dress from Wizard of Oz, accompanied by a b&w photo of Ms. Garland wearing the dress  M.G.M. 1939.
  • A Winkie Spear from The Wizard Of Oz, M.G.M. 1939 Including b&w glossy of Oz characters and spear.
  • Judy Garland's original work permit, 1933.  Original Division of Labor Statistics and Law Enforcement Theatrical Permit under the name Frances Gumm.
  • Original Andy Warhol serigraph of Judy Garland.
  • Adjacent to Judy’s House, you will discover a beautiful memorial garden.
  • The Judy Garland Museum ® features educational  exhibits, lectures, performances, seminars, film screenings.  You will hear interviews and Judy singing some of her signature songs.  Highlights of her life include her birth certificate as issued by the Itasca Hospital.

In the Museum Store:

  • Vintage Record Albums
  • Vintage DVD Movies
  • Vintage CD Recordings
  • Rare, Hard-To-Find, and Out of Print Books
  • Ruby Slipper: necklaces, earrings, charm bracelets, & jewelry boxes
  • Wizard of Oz Musical Water Globes & Figurines
  • Wonderful Wizard of Oz pop-up book and paperback collection by L.Frank Baum with 14 sequels
  • 8" Dorothy & Toto Musical Doll


The Judy Garland Museum® was founded in 1975 by Jackie Dingmann as a way to honor this great 20th Century artist, and Grand Rapids native. Judy Garland.  The new 13,000 square foot Museum observed its grand opening in June 2003. Paired with the Children’s Discovery Museum, the Judy Garland Museum ® provides:

  • World's largest collection of Judy Garland 
  • The restored Judy Garland Historic House
  • The Children's Discovery Museum interactive exhibits
  • Memorial Gardens & Gazebo
  • Lions & Tigers & Bears Exhibit
  • Museum Store


Organized as a Minnesota non-profit, educational corporation with 501c(3) tax deductible status, the Judy Garland Museum® is governed by a ten member board of directors.

Selected Grant Awards

  • Iron Range Resources & Rehabilitation Board, IRRRB
  • State of Minnesota
  • Itasca County
  • City of Grand Rapds
  • The Streisand Foundation
  • Bob and Dolores Hope Charitable Foundation
  • Blandin Foundation blandin
  • Minnesota Humanities Center mn humanities center

judy garland house

The Story of a Family and their House

Featured in Architectural Digest Magazine

If buildings could talk, they would tell stories, just the way we do. The modest white clapboard structure  in Grand Rapids, Minnesota has a store of memories that it shares with thousands of visitors a year. For over 20 years, caring conservators have kept the house in order and brought collections and memories together.  They tell the story of the gifted child who was born here.

She became the entertainer the world knows as Judy Garland. Her home was already thirty years old when she came along and shortly began to astonish family and friends.

The Judy Garland House was built in May of 1892 by Andrew and Mary Shook.  Andrew Shook was the captain of the steamboat, Fawn, which plied the Mississippi River to the terminus in Grand Rapids.

The house was purchased by State Senator Daniel Gunn by tax default in 1905, and it underwent a major remodeling in 1915.

In March 1919, Judy's parents Frank and Ethel Gumm purchased their first family home which was  their residence for the next seven years.  Judy Garland spent her formative years in this house from her birth in 1922 until October of 1926.

The Gumm family resided in Grand Rapids for 12 years from 1914 until 1926.  They were very active in the community.  Judy's father, Frank Gumm, led the Episcopal Church choir and was a reporter for the now defunct Itasca County Independent newspaper.  He introduced the town song before a crowd of over 200 people at the Legion Hall.  Mother Ethel organized many community style shows and school plays.  The family regularly performed vaudeville acts at the New Grand Theater between showings of silent films.  Judy's father, Frank Gumm, owned a partial interest in the theater, along with other movie houses in Cohasset, Deer River, and Coleraine.

The house has been lovingly restored to appear as it did when Judy's family occupied the dwelling in the mid 1920s.  Some good 1920s photographs surfaced, and a half dozen people remembered certain aspects of the interior.

The structure is associated with the life of a very important person of the past who made significant contributions to broad patterns in American history.

Museum Timeline

1975 - Museum founded by Jackie Dingmann in the Old Central School

1979 - Festival guest of honor: The Wicked Witch of the West, Margaret Hamilton

1989 - 50th anniversary Wizard of Oz Festival draws 30,000 visitors. The event receives the Tarvel Marketing Award of Excellence from the Minnesota Office of Tourism.

1990 - An expanded Judy Garland Exhibit opens in Old Central School

1991 - The Judy Garland Historic House is secured for the people of America and the world.

1993 - Original Judy Garland and Wizard of Oz collections are acquired.

1994 - Museum incorporated as a nonprofit educational charity. Two acre Museum site is donated. The historic house is moved for the second time.

1995 - Restoration begins on the historic house. Abraham Lincoln carriage used in "The Wizard of Oz" is acquired and goes on public exhibit.

1996 - Completed restoration of the historic house and opened the home to the public.

1997 - Completd the Memorial Garden adjacent to the historic house. Opened a temporary children's museum in an old storefront building.

1999 - Launched the Museum's first website.

2000 - Children's Museum awarded a $1 million school service program grant.

2001 - 2002 - Capital campaign raises $1.2 million for a new program space.

2003 - Grand opening of the new Museum program space adjacent to the Historic House.

2004-2005 - Original ruby slippers on loan exhibit at the Museum each summer. Garden gazebo donated.

2006 - Opened the Faith Wick Fairyland doll exhibit. A successful fundraiser is held with Margaret O'Brien and a screening of "Meet Me in St.Louis" at the historic Heights Theatre in Minneapolis.

2007 - 2008 Accurate period furnishings and historic wallpaper further improve the Historic House presentation. Successful fundraiser held with Munchkin Jerry Maren and a screening of "The Wizard of Oz" at the historic Heights Theatre in Minneapolis.

2009 - Birch and maple hardwood floors are restored in the historic house. Authentic exterior details added.

2010 - Launched a new website. Took the annual festival on the road to Minneapolis. Mounted traveling exhibits at Orchestra Hall and the Orpheum Theatre in Minneapolis.         
2010 - Burned the mortgage on the Museum program space.

2011 - First edition Wizard of Oz book donated for the permanent collection.

2013 - A sell-out performance of the History Theatre's production of "Beyond the Rainbow: Garland at Carnegie Hall" is held at the Reif Center for the Performing Arts during the annual Festival.

2014 - A Guinness World Record for the most dressed-up Wizard of Oz characters is set by the Museum with 1,093 participants.  A new "Land of Oz" exhibit is fabricated and opened to the public during the 75th anniversary of "The Wizard of Oz".

wizard of oz carriageThe Carriage

The carriage used in the "Wizard of Oz", This Barouche Carriage, is a Civil War era Brewster, which was constructed of hand-forged iron work, and the body of American hardwoods. The comfortable riding carriage features C-Springs suspended with leather, designed with a front driver's seat, interior Vis-a vis seating arrangement, and a black retractable soft top. The two large rear and two smaller front wheels are American mail hubbed, accompanied by a pole, shafts, and swaggle trees. Handwritten on one of the four wooden bows, which is the framework for the folding top, is A. Lincoln, June 8, 1863.

The carriage is first seen as the doors to the Emerald City open for “Dorothy” and “Toto”, “The Scarecrow”, “The Tin Man”, and the “Cowardly Lion”.  The carriage is driven by Frank Morgan (who played Professor Marvel, the Carriage driver, doorman, guard, and the Wizard) and pulled by “The Horse of a Different Color”; “Dorothy” and friends ask to be taken to see the “The Wizard” after their long journey; but first they freshen up at The Wash & Brush Up Co.



Judy Garland Festival

June 2022 
Watch for more details to come! 



Honoring Stars from the past,
and inspiring talent for our future.


Top state travel-award winning Wizard of Oz Festival has played host to major celebrities including,

  • Mickey Rooney
  • June Allysonwizard of oz set
  • Margaret O’Brien
  • Donald O’Connor
  • Jayne Meadows
  • June Lockhart
  • The Wicked Witch of the West Margaret Hamilton
  • Andy Williams
  • Jane Powell
  • The Munchkins

Wizard of Oz Trivia:

  • The famous "Surrender Dorothy" sky writing scene was done using a tank of water and a tiny model witch attached to the end of a long hypodermic needle. The syringe was filled with milk, the tip of the needle was put into the tank and the words were written in reverse while being filmed from below. See more
  • Frank Morgan played 5 parts: Professor Marvel, The Wizard of Oz, the Gatekeeper, the Carriage Driver, The Guard.
  • The Scarecrow face makeup that Ray Bolger wore consisted, in part, of a rubber prosthetic with a woven pattern to suggest cloth. By the time the film was finished the prosthetic had left a pattern of lines on his face that took more than a year to vanish.
  • The horses in Emerald City  were colored with Jell-O crystals. The relevant scenes had to be shot quickly, before the horses started to lick it off.
  • When the Witch tries to get off the ruby slippers, fire strikes her hands. This "fire" was actually dark apple juice spewing out of the shoes. The film was sped up to make it look like fire.
  • The shot of Dorothy's house falling from the sky was achieved by filming a miniature house being dropped onto a sky painting on the stage floor, then reversing the film to make the house appear to fall towards the camera.
  • The "tornado" was 35-foot-long muslin stocking, spun around among miniatures of a Kansas farm and fields in a dusty atmosphere.
  • The Cowardly Lion's facial makeup included a brown paper bag. Actor Bert Lahr couldn't eat without ruining his makeup. Tired of eating soup and milkshakes, he decided to eat lunch and have his makeup redone.
  • As the most watched movie in history, the 1939 MGM film Wizard of Oz, starring Judy Garland, has been seen by over 3 billion people.
  • Over the Rainbow, was named the top song of the 20th century in a survey conducted by the National Endowment for the Arts and the Recording Industry Association of America.
  • American Film Institute: Tribute, Among Women, Judy Garland has the most nominations in the American Film Institute’s list of the top 100 best songs in the U.S. cinema with nine including “Over the Rainbow” from The Wizard of Oz.
  • Since 1932-33, when the Oz books appeared in French, the Oz stories have been printed in 22 languages.